Drive Away That Migraine With These 5 Essential Oils
Migraines can be a pain – literally!
There’s nothing worse than going on with your day and then suddenly get hit by a migraine attack – and that’s exactly what it feels like – as if your senses are attacked by a huge army of pain soldiers. Okay that might be a slight exaggeration but those who suffer from migraines, know just how tormenting they can be – I know because I get them a lot.
So what a lot of people don’t know is that not every headache is a migraine – there are different types of headaches that include:
- Stress/tension headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Exertion headaches
- Sinus headaches
- Allergy headaches
- Hormone headaches
- Hangover headaches
- Caffeine headaches
- Cluster headaches
If you tend to suffer from migraine headaches frequently, then you should try to figure out the cause behind it because there is always a trigger point that may include:
- Skipping meals
- Salty or processed foods
- Drinks high in caffeine
Of course, there is an alternative method to treating it other than popping a pill – and that involves using essential oils.
5 Must Have Essential Oils To Tackle Migraine Pain
Essential oils are a great way to treat a number of health conditions including migraines and the best part is that they do not have any negative side effects from its use. That said let’s take a look at some of the best essential oils that are available for treating migraines.
- Lavender Oil – Known for its calming and relaxing properties, lavender oil is one of the best essential oils and a favorite for those looking to unwind after a stressful day. The scent is calming and acts as a sedative that can provide you with a good night’s sleep.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil – a soft scent that helps you to sleep extremely well, roman chamomile essential oils contain anti inflammatory properties that can soothe your migraine providing relief from the pain. A good way is to add a few drops in your tea or adding a few drops in a diffuser and breathing it in.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – using peppermint oil can provide one with a cooling effect and at the same time relaxes the muscles in that area while stimulating the flow of blood that is a driving factor in soothing away the migraine.
- Eucaplyptus Essential Oil – the energizing and strong scent of this oil is a great way to chase away the pesky migraine especially if it’s a result of a sinus or a head cold.
- Basil Oil – known to contain adaptogens that controls the negative effects of stress as well as balance the hormone levels, basil oil is another great option that you can try to better deal with the migraine pain.
One thing that should be remembered while using these essential oils is to never use them alone. Diffusing these oils with another carrier oil of your choice such as olive oil or coconut oil is important so as not to cause any skin damage or irritation.