These Benefits Of Onions Will Make Your Cry Happy Tears
Yes they make us cry but wait till you hear about the surprising (and many!) health benefits that onions provide. One of the most widely used medicinal plant, onions over the years, had been used as preventive medicine for a number of health ailments. That and being used in pretty much most of the foods that we eat today makes onions a powerhouse vegetable that cannot be ignored!
Onions – raw or cooked?
Regardless of whichever way you decide to cook onions, they will provide you with a number of benefits. Although those who tend to eat onions in raw form find the juice to act as an irritant to the eye causing it to tear up, eating raw onions is actually better since they tend to have higher levels of organic sulfur compounds but cooked onions are also good for you since onions are loaded with health benefits for you.
Types of Onions
Have you noticed how some onions tend to have a very strong smell to it while others are much sweeter in taste? That’s because there are different types of onions that are available all around the world. Although onions originated from India, today they are cultivated around the world, giving them different qualities.
- Sweet Onions – these onions tend to have a much more transparent and lighter skin with a larger and fatter body.
- White Onions – these onions got their name due to the papery white skin and tend to be much sweeter and milder compared to yellow onions.
- Yellow Onions – surrounded by an ivory-white flesh, these onions tend to be more pungent due to their strong sulfur-like aroma.
- Red Onions – perfect onion for those who like eating it in the raw form, red onions tend to be sweet and mild with a deep magenta flesh on the inside.
- Green Onions – these onions have not yet formed a bulb and are considered to be immature onions.
- Leeks – mostly used in soups and sauces, leeks are found shaped like overgrown scallions.
Good Health and Onions – The Benefits
It is a widely known fact that onions are a good source for benefits relating to the body. There are numerous benefits that onions provide to those who include them in their daily food intake. A few of those benefits are listed below.
- Helps in fighting breast and colon cancer cells
- Provides protection against heart disease
- Onion extracts have been found to lower blood sugar levels in the body
- Helps with the digestion
- Onions are a great at maintaining bone health providing protection from osteoporosis
- Prevention against certain allergies
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Helps to reduce stress
- Onions aid in the treatment of cholera
- Prevention of blood clots
- Enhances health of the brain
- Promotes sexual health
- Provides an energy boost
- Anti ageing
- Keeps the skin looking fresh and glowy
- Helps in tackling pigmentation and dark spots
- Treats acne
- Helps to reverse grey hair
- Boosts hair growth
- Helps to eliminate head lice