Multivitamin Benefits and Uses
Just like we need oxygen, water and food to function properly throughout the day, our body too needs certain nutrients and vitamins to maintain its functionality. The food that we intake daily, though tend to contain some vitamins and minerals, we need a balanced diet of 40+ nutrients each day.
However, poor diet, nutrition and appetite can cause a deficit of these essential vitamins and minerals and that’s where taking multivitamins can come in handy.
A ‘multivitamin’ is a supplement that is commonly found in tablet or pill form and that provides us with those essential minerals and vitamins. Each multivitamin supplement targets different problems and deficiencies therefore; you will find that each multivitamin contains different vitamins and minerals, with iron being mostly omitted.
Do you need a multivitamin?
There are several reasons why a doctor would prescribe a multivitamin for you. Since each person tends to have different deficiencies, selecting the right supplement is essential to reap its benefits; therefore it is not recommended that you start taking these supplements without first consulting your doctor. The main reason why most people turn towards these supplements is due to a deficiency. If you find yourself at a risk for nutrient deficiency, then taking a recommended dosage is important to keep your body functioning properly.
Reasons for taking multivitamins
Not only do these multivitamin supplements cover the nutrient deficiency, but they also tend to be great for other reasons. That being said, we have listed below some benefits and reasons that may come across as surprising but will give you an idea of why you need these supplements.
- Correcting nutritional deficiencies is one of the main purposes of taking multivitamin supplements.
- With age, your body requires more nutrients; however it becomes more resilient to absorbing nutrients from normal food which can be tackled with these supplements.
- Multivitamin supplements boost energy levels.
- Daily intake of these multivitamins improves short term memory
- Antioxidants and minerals present in these supplements help in detoxifying the body, freeing it from toxins.
- Helps you to maintain muscle strength.
- Improves your balance and reduces the risk of injuries as a result of falling.
- Maintains skin health making your skin looking younger and healthy looking.
- Fills in the deficiency of B-complex vitamins that can lead to hearing loss.
- Proven to be effective in boosting the mood and overall emotional wellbeing in a person.
- Reduces the craving for alcohol.
- Helps in preventing dry eyes.
- Boosts sexual function and performance.
Multivitamin side effects
There are no serious side effects in taking these multivitamin supplements, however there could be some slight effects that may include the ones listed below.
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Upset stomach
It is not recommended to exceed the dose suggested by a doctor or directed on the label of the bottle. Exceeding that dosage or not following the instructions could result in harmful effects and lead to long-term health problems.