Fish Oil – Sources and Benefits
There is fish and then there is fish oil – both have proved to be extremely beneficial when included in our diet. While the benefits of consuming fish is quite common, not a lot of people are aware about the benefits of fish oil and how it aids in improving a number of health conditions and functioning of the body.
The presence of omega-3 essential fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and other essential fatty acids contribute to the benefits of the oil.
Fish oil – what exactly is it?
Fish oil is basically the oil that is extracted from the tissues of oily fish. The different types of fish that are considered to be a source of good oil include:
- Bluefin tuna
- Yellowfin tuna
- Lake trout
Health benefits of fish oil
Fish oil has shown to be effective in promoting good health with its benefits extending to promoting weight loss to fertility to reducing inflammation as well as reducing depression and boosting brain functioning. These and a lot more are the benefits one reaps from regular intake of fish oil.
- Omega-3 found in fish oil has proven to be effective in boosting heart health and reducing the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases. Apart from that, it also helps in increasing the levels of good cholesterol and lowering the levels of bad cholesterol.
- Those looking for a way to shed off those extra pounds will benefit from fish oil since it promotes weight loss.
- Regular intake of fish oil has shown that it provides a much needed boost to the immune system which reduces the occurrence of flu, cough and cold.
- Fish oil has been known to be effective in treating gastrointestinal disorders, short bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and Celiac disease.
- Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil decreases sadness, anxiety, depression, mental fatigue, and suicidal tendencies.
- Fish oil also helps in improving vision.
- Those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease will find fish oil to be an effective treatment due to it being a great source of essential fatty acids.
- One great benefit that fish oil provides is that it treats skin problems such as rashes, itching, psoriasis, eczema and skin redness. It is also known to improve skin health by making the skin look more vibrant.
- Omega-3 consists of properties that stimulate hair growth by nourishing the follicles. This results in the prevention of hair loss and at the same time, develops new hair.
- The DHA present in the fish oil, is especially beneficial for pregnant women since it helps in the development of the brain and eyes of a baby.
Fish oil is found in various forms including capsules, tablets and supplements and can be used in the preparation of daily meals. However, it should be remembered that the dosage should not exceed to three capsules per day.