Cranberry: Benefits You In More Ways Than One
Since you were a child, you have been told about the benefits of including fresh fruits in your daily food intake. Packed with nutrients and healthy goodness, there is one such fruit that is considered to be a must-have side dish especially during Thanksgiving. Yes, we are talking about none other than cranberries!
Harvested by North Americans, these berries have become famous and have been termed as “super food” for their antioxidant properties and for being rich in nutrients making them a wonderful addition for your overall health – the best part? A half cup of cranberries are just 25 calories!
Harvested in September and October, the best time to buy this amazing fruit is during fall. When you do purchase them, remember that they should not be wrinkled while being firm to the touch. You can buy a whole bunch at once and refrigerate them for up to 2 months or freeze them if you want to store for later use.
Here are a few ways you can include cranberries for snacking:
- Make your very own homemade trail mix with dried cranberries, seeds and unsalted nuts
- Dried cranberries add a burst of flavor to your cereal or oatmeal
- Pack in an extra punch in your apple pies or cobbler by including fresh cranberries
- Blend in fresh or frozen cranberries to add a delicious twist to your smoothie
- Include pieces of fresh or dried cranberries in your cookie or muffin recipes
Cranberry Juice Benefits
Packed with goodness, here’s how cranberry juice can benefit you!
Rich in nutrients, cranberry juice is perhaps one of the most “healthiest” fruits out there and is known for its versatile benefits. Below are just some of the ways you can improve your overall health and prevent any major health issues.
- Cranberry juice is perfect for preventing Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) since the proanthocyanidins in it keeps the cells of the bladder walls free from bacteria, preventing them from multiplying. It also makes the urine more acidic preventing the infection-causing bacteria to thrive and spread.
- Drinking cranberry juice regularly helps in the prevention and spread of prostate, colon, breast and lung tumors since the salicylic acid in it prevents the blood clots to form that leads to tumor.
- Helps in improving the overall cardiovascular health by lowering the risk of heart-related ailments.
- Not only does the consumption (moderate) of cranberry juice help with good dental hygiene but also but also prevents tooth decay that results from cavities.
- Cranberry juice contains anti-carcinogenic compounds that are known to hinder in the growth of cancer cells, especially prostate and colon cancer. Apart from that, the chemicals found in cranberries also help in fighting breast cancer.
- Cranberry juice contains flavanoid content, that is known to reduce the risk of the development of stomach disorders as well as soothe any discomfort caused by ulcers.
- Those looking to shed a few pounds can start to include this drink in their daily intake since cranberry juice is known to aid in weight loss with its high fiber content, making you feel fuller for longer.
Did you know that cranberry juice is also great for your skin? From treating wrinkles to keeping you looking younger for longer, read on to learn the many ways cranberry juice benefits your skin.
- We already mentioned how cranberries are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins – well all that goodness, especially the Vitamin C, B3 and B5 that is found helps in not only enhancing the turnover of cells but also helps to shield them from environmental damage that could damage your skin, causing you to age faster.
- The enzymes in cranberries makes for great exfoliation of dead skin and helps to unclog sebaceous glands that leads to the formation of sebum that leaves you looking oily.
- Vitamin C in cranberry juice is perfect if you want to firm up your skin by boosting up the production of collagen in your body.
- Those suffering from acne and are looking for ways to clear it up can use a mask made with the juice of cranberries, orange peel and honey to instantly make the skin look bright and fresh.
Not only the skin but cranberry juice is also great for the hair too! Learn how cranberry juice can give you a fuller head of hair!
- Vitamin A and C in cranberry juice are main ingredients that you can use to promote hair growth.
- Those suffering from alopecia or male baldness can also drink cranberry juice to counteract the effects.